For those of you who may need a refresher, this is Tim Huether's blog that I started for my junior fall semester abroad in St. Petersburg, Russia. Right now I'm here in Saint Louis for a couple of weeks before I fly out two Tuesdays from now, on August 26th. I got home to St. Louis last Saturday, the 9th, after a fun summer in DC. The idea was to get everything ready for the big trip while I'm at home, but as usual, I've done a pretty good job of procrastinating so far. But enough of the day-to-day, I doubt anyone wants to read that and if they do want to know about it, they can just ask me.
I decided to set up this blog both as a journal of my experiences for myself, and also so that my friends and family can keep track of how I'm doing easily. I will do my best to convey how life abroad is on me, and it will be great to live for a while in a culture with a completely different point of view of the international system and American hegemony.
So maybe a little bit about why I'm going to Russia in the first place, because whenever I mention studying abroad there, many people immediately ask, "why?" Indeed, nowadays more people are surprised at someone venturing to Russia than to China or the Middle East for studying abroad.
I must say that my interest in Russia wasn't all deliberate. I began studying Russian as a freshman in high school, a choice made out of my desire to be different and unique as much as anything else. Here I am, six years later, with no regrets about that decision. I have, in my opinion, been very fortunate to see Russia regain some of its lost importance on the world stage over the past few years, and I think that the Russian population is one that is still very misunderstood by the West. I definitely don't claim to have a good understanding or Russia, but hopefully this trip will help.
For reference, St. Petersburg time is 9 hours ahead of central, 8 hours ahead of eastern. I just got skype, my name is Heathrow143. I'm not sure how much Internet access I'll have, but hopefully I will be able to keep in touch with everyone pretty easily. I am hoping to write some snail mail letters back and forth as well, so give me your addresses in the comments if you're interested and I'll provide mine as soon as I know it in another post (I'll be living with a host family but won't know which one or where I'll live until I get there).
If you want me to try to find something out, have a question about Russian culture you want me to try to answer, or want me to pick something Russian up for you while I'm there, write a comment or shoot me an email at tjhuether@gmail.com (no guarantees, I only have so much room in the suitcases).
Lastly, the title of the blog: Timswindowtothewest. Peter the Great always wanted a warm-water port, and following a war with Sweden he was able to take the land that St. Petersburg is built on. Shortly after the war he started construction of a new, European-style capital, St. Petersburg, in 1703, requiring massive amounts of labor to drain the swamp on which it is built. Peter the Great was striving for a "Window on the West," trying to make Russia look western to the great European powers as a model for future development. So, too I will try to look through the Russian perspective at the West during this trip. A corny name I know, but it was as good any I suppose.
First blog post done, I'll be writing again but possibly not until I get to St. Petersburg. This was pretty disorganized and just stream of consciousness, so hopefully in the future these will be more organized and thought-out.
Sunday, August 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
my second post will be sweet. i tried to find you on skype but couldn't. my skype name is n.blair.munhofen
Tim, this is a great first blog post. I'll be the first to request a souvenir from your travels.
Keep in touch!
Tiffany
nice detail on the first blog post...let me know what your skype name is so we can skype
nick miller
Tim, sounds like your head is in the right place, your mind is definitely your own but will you body still be yours under Russian control?
Only time will tell
Timmy,
Great info. Keep it coming for us dull parents.
Yo Tim!
How about those EAGLES!!!
Seriously, we wish you the best.
You truly have a unique opportunity to provide a "Window to the West" to understand the (common) Russian perspective concerning the Georgian conflict and the U.S. response.
Look forward to the next addition to your blog.
Work Hard! Play Hard!
Post a Comment